A lot of preparation time, but worth every minute. I did serve mine with tortilla's not rice.
This popular New Mexican dish is essentially a green chile stew often made with pork.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup rice, 1 cup pork mixture, and 1 lime wedge)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 437
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 14.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 46.2g
- Fiber: 6.3g
- Cholesterol: 81mg
- Iron: 4.3mg
- Sodium: 591mg
- Calcium: 65mg
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 cups chopped onion (about 2)
- 1/4 cup chopped seeded Anaheim chile
- 2 tablespoons chopped seeded jalapeño pepper (about 1)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 5 (11-ounce) cans whole tomatillos, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- 8 lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper over pork. Add pork to pan; cook 8 minutes or until browned. Remove from pan. Add onion, chile peppers, and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Return pork to pan. Add remaining 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, broth, oregano, cumin, coriander, and tomatillos; bring to a boil. Cover and bake at 400° for 1 hour. Stir in cilantro. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until pork is tender. Cool completely. Place mixture in an airtight container or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
- Thaw pork mixture overnight in refrigerator. Reheat in microwave or place mixture in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook until thoroughly heated, stirring frequently. Serve over rice. Garnish with lime wedges.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This