This was pretty good. A bit spicy for my tastes, but it would be great meal to clear the sinuses if someone had a cold. I'll definitely make it again, but I may ease up on the cumin :) The garnish is the best part, absolutely delicious!
Chili-Spiced Chicken Soup with Stoplight Peppers and Avocado Relish
Finalist, Family Dinners
My husband likes Mexican food—tacos, fajitas, burritos. This recipe is everything you'd find in a fajita in a healthy, tasty soup instead. —Jamie Miller, Maple Grove, Minn.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 285
- Fat: 9.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 27.2g
- Carbohydrate: 23.1g
- Fiber: 5.5g
- Cholesterol: 648mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 773mg
- Calcium: 99mg
- Spice blend:
- 2 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch-wide strips
- 2 cups chopped sweet onion
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1 (32-ounce) carton fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (28-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 3 ounces queso fresco, crumbled
- 1 diced peeled avocado
- Cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1. To prepare spice blend, combine first 6 ingredients in a small bowl.
- 2. To prepare soup, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sprinkle 1 1/2 tablespoons spice blend over chicken. Sauté 8 minutes or until done; cool. Chop chicken; set aside.
- 3. Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in pan over medium-high heat; add onion, bell peppers, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sprinkle vegetable mixture with remaining spice blend; sauté 8 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in chicken, corn, broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Add lime juice.
- 4. To prepare relish, combine chopped cilantro and next 4 ingredients (through avocado).
- 5. Ladle 1 1/4 cups soup into bowls; top with 1/4 cup relish. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note