I live in NM and used fresh Big Jim chiles instead of canned. It was harvest time so I had fresh roasted available. I made it twice the first time, I followed the recipe exactly except for substituting fresh for canned chiles and there was not enough batter to cover the rellenos. The second time I made it in an approximately 9x9 pan and with 3 chiles as a second layer. The batter completely covered the rellenos. I added the cheddar cheese topping half way through the baking and I would take it to any pot luck in NM.
Chili Relleno Casserole
Community Recipe from
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup(s) flour
- 1/3 cup(s) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 10 canned green chilis whole
- 4 ounce(s) monteray jack cheese 10 cubes
- 1 cup(s) grated cheddar
- taco sauce or salsa
- 1. Butter a 1 1/2 qt. casserole and heat oven to 375.
- 2. Beat eggs, flour, milk and baking powder until smooth.
- 3. Wrap each chile around a cube of cheese and arrange in a single layer in the dish.
- 4. Pour egg mixture over chiles and sprinkle with cheddar.
- 5. Bake about 30 minutes, until the center is set, it is puffed and golden brown.
- Serve with warm taco sauce or salsa.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by Mandonan and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Chili Relleno Casserole Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Breakfast/Brunch