- 1 1/2 pounds lean boneless top round steak
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups canned no-salt-added beef broth, undiluted
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
- 2 1/4 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped sweet red pepper
- Fresh cilantro sprigs (optional)
- calories 276
- caloriesfromfat 23 %
- fat 7 g
- satfat 2.2 g
- monofat 0.0 g
- polyfat 0.0 g
- protein 32.1 g
- carbohydrate 21.8 g
- fiber 0.0 g
- cholesterol 75 mg
- iron 0.0 mg
- sodium 292 mg
- calcium 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Trim fat from steak; cut steak into 1-inch pieces. Coat a Dutch oven with cooking spray; place over medium-high heat until hot. Add steak; cook 4 minutes or until browned on all sides, stirring frequently. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Wipe drippings from Dutch oven with a paper towel.
Coat Dutch oven with cooking spray. Place over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; saute until tender. Add oregano and cumin; cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Add chili powder, cocoa, and salt, and cook mixture, stirring constantly, 1 additional minute. Add steak, beef broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
Uncover; add corn and red pepper, and simmer 20 additional minutes.
To serve, ladle into individual serving bowls; sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.