- 1 pound Italian sausage (sweet or hot), casings removed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 15-ounce cans kidney beans, drained
- 3/4 cup jarred salsa
- 1 8 1/2-ounce box corn-bread mix (requires 1 egg and 1/3 cup milk)
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar
- calcium 257 mg
- calories 522
- caloriesfromfat 0 %
- carbohydrate 52 g
- cholesterol 137 mg
- fat 17 g
- fiber 7 g
- iron 4 mg
- protein 28 mg
- satfat 7 g
- sodium 1652 mg
How to Make It
Heat oven to 400° F.
In a large skillet, over medium heat, cook the sausage, crumbling it with a spoon, until no trace of pink remains, about 7 minutes. Add the chili powder and cook for 1 minute. Spoon off and discard any fat. Add the beans, tomatoes, and salsa and simmer for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the corn bread mix, egg, and milk, then stir in the Cheddar.
Transfer the chili mixture to a 9-by-9-inch or 11-by-7-inch 2-quart baking dish. Spread the corn bread batter over the top. Bake until golden, 15 to 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.