Chili-Peanut Spring Greens
More From Southern Living Cooking School
Amount per serving
- Calories: 139
- Fat: 11g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Protein: 4.6g
- Carbohydrate: 8.8g
- Fiber: 3.3g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 493mg
- Calcium: 95mg
- 1 pound fresh spinach, stems removed
- 4 tablespoons dry roasted, salted USA-GROWN PEANUTS
- 2 tablespoons aromatic peanut oil made with USA-GROWN PEANUTS, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1. Coarsely chop spinach.
- 2. Process peanuts in a blender or food processor 10 to 15 seconds or until finely ground.
- 3. Heat ground peanuts in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, 1 to 2 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant. Remove from skillet.
- 4. Heat 1 tablespoon peanut oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion, tomato, and pepper, and sauté 3 to 4 minutes or until onion is tender. Transfer mixture to a small bowl; keep warm.
- 5. Add broth and salt to skillet. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add spinach, in batches, stirring just until spinach begins to wilt.
- 6. Remove from heat. Top spinach with onion mixture; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons toasted ground peanuts. Cover and let stand 3 to 4 minutes or until spinach is tender.
- 7. Transfer to a serving platter. Drizzle with lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons toasted ground peanuts. Serve immediately.
- Chili-Peanut Greens: Substitute 1 pound kale for spinach. Prepare recipe as directed through Step 5. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and proceed with recipe as directed in Step 6, letting kale stand, covered, 5 minutes or until tender. Proceed with Step 7 as directed. Prep: 15 min., Cook: 10 min., Stand: 5 min.
- Per serving: Calories 154; Fat 11g (sat 1.8g, mono 5.2g, poly 3.8g); Protein 4.6g; Carb 12.6g; Fiber 3.9g; Chol 0mg; Iron 1.4mg; Sodium 456mg; Calc 100mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables