- 12 ounces uncooked rotini, spiral macaroni, or wagon wheel pasta
- 2 cups canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
- 20 ounces ground turkey breast
- 2 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 4 cups lower-sodium marinara sauce
- Cooking spray
- 4 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- calories 497
- fat 14.5 g
- satfat 5.2 g
- monofat 6.7 g
- polyfat 0.9 g
- protein 33.8 g
- carbohydrate 60.1 g
- fiber 10.6 g
- cholesterol 44 mg
- iron 3.5 mg
- sodium 650 mg
- calcium 174 mg
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 350°.
Cook pasta in boiling water until almost al dente. Drain. Combine pasta and beans in a large bowl.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion, garlic, and mushrooms to pan; cook 11 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes or until done, stirring to crumble. Add bell pepper and next 7 ingredients (through red pepper); cook 1 minute. Stir in marinara sauce; bring to a boil. Add marinara mixture to pasta mixture; toss to coat. Divide mixture evenly between 2 (2-quart) glass baking dishes coated with cooking spray. Top evenly with cheese. Bake at 350° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts, or follow freezing instructions.
TO FREEZE: Spoon half of unbaked mixture into a 2-quart glass baking dish (such as a Ziploc VersaGlass large square container). Cover with lid; freeze up to 2 months.
TO THAW: Remove lid; place casserole in microwave. Microwave at 30% power 30 to 40 minutes (or on defrost setting for 75 pounds).
TO REHEAT: Cover casserole with foil; bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in center registers 160°.