Nice flavor... Perfect New Year's Eve fondue...would definitely make again:)
Notes: For an entrée, you can also dip these foods into the sauce: 3 to 4 cups bite-size vegetable pieces (choose 1 to 4--canned baby corn, cauliflower florets, cherry tomatoes, red bell pepper strips, zucchini slices) and 3 to 4 cups bite-size pieces cooked meat (choose 1 to 3--chicken, meatballs, shrimp, sausage).
Prep and cook time: about 25 minutes
More From Sunset
- Calories: 657
- Calories from fat: 55%
- Protein: 35g
- Fat: 40g
- Saturated fat: 24g
- Carbohydrate: 39g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 1206mg
- Cholesterol: 128mg
- 1 to 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 pound jack or chili-flavored jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 pound sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon crushed cumin seed
- 1 can (4 oz.) diced green chiles
- 1 baguette (1/2 lb.), cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 6 to 9 ounces tortilla chips
- 1. In a 1 1/2- to 2-quart fondue pan (flame-proof ceramic or porcelain-glazed cast iron) or heavy-bottom metal pan over medium heat, warm 1 cup milk until bubbles form and slowly rise to surface, about 6 minutes.
- 2. In a bowl, mix jack cheese, cheddar cheese, cornsarch, and cumin.
- 3. Add cheese mixture, a handful at a time, to hot milk, stirring until fondue is smoothly melted and beginning to bubble.
- 4. Set pan over an ignited alcohol or canned solid-fuel flame (if pan is ceramic, place a heat diffuser between it and heat source). Adjust heat so fondue bubbles very slowly. Check occasionally to be sure fondue is not scorching; if it is too hot, reduce or turn off the heat, then resume heating when mixture begins to cool.
- 5. Spear bread cubes, 1 at a time, with fondue forks or thin skewers (metal or wood) and swirl through fondue (stir across bottom frequently to prevent scorching); lift out and let drip briefly over pan, then eat. If fondue gets too thick for easy dipping, stir in more heated milk, a few tablespoons at a time. After fondue is consumed, scrape the cheese crust from pan to divide and eat; it's considered a special treat.
- Serve fondue with tortilla chips instead of bread if you choose.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note