I've been making this for several years. I usually add more adobo and chipotle. It's a good serving size and calorie count. Tasty noodle dish, can be a tad dry, especially the leftovers. But I do recommend making it, and you get several servings from it.
Chili and Cheddar Bow Tie Casserole
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
If you don't have farfalle, substitute ziti, rigatoni, or even macaroni.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 369
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 12.4g
- Saturated fat: 7.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 23.2g
- Carbohydrate: 43g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 758mg
- Calcium: 472mg
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced Canadian bacon (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 1/4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 8 cups hot cooked farfalle (bow tie pasta) or other short pasta
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Remove 1 teaspoon adobo sauce and 1 chile from canned chiles; mince the chile. Place remaining sauce and chiles in a zip-top plastic bag; freeze for another use.
- Melt butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add bell pepper and bacon; sauté 4 minutes. Add onions; sauté 1 minute. Stir in the adobo sauce, minced chile, flour, chili powder, salt, and cumin; cook 1 minute. Gradually add milk; cook until thick and bubbly (about 4 minutes), stirring constantly with a whisk. Remove from heat. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups cheese and cilantro, stirring until cheese melts. Add pasta to pan; toss well.
- Spoon the pasta mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over pasta mixture. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until browned.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles