Chili in a Biscuit Bowl
Photo: Tina Cornett
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Toppings: sour cream, sliced green onions
- Garnish: green onions
- Stir together first 3 ingredients. Turn dough out onto a surface sprinkled with biscuit mix. Shape into a ball, and knead 3 to 4 times. Divide into 6 portions.
- Invert 6 (6-ounce) custard cups several inches apart on a lightly greased baking sheet. (Or use an inverted muffin pan.) Coat outsides of cups with vegetable cooking spray.
- Roll or pat each dough portion into a 6-inch circle. Place each on a custard cup; press into a bowl shape.
- Bake at 450° for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool slightly; remove biscuit bowls to a wire rack.
- Cook beef, onion, and bell pepper in a Dutch oven over medium heat until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain. Stir in tomatoes, beans, and chili powder.
- Bring beef mixture to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes. Spoon into biscuit bowls, and serve with desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note