Chile Rellenos Casserole
Yield: Makes 5 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 358
- Calories from fat: 60%
- Protein: 20g
- Fat: 24g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 1.9g
- Sodium: 854mg
- Cholesterol: 202mg
- 4 corn tortillas (6 to 7 in.)
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 pound jalapeño-flavor jack cheese
- 2 cans (7 oz. each) whole green chilies, drained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1. Stack tortillas and cut into about 1/2-inch squares.
- 2. In an 11- to 12-inch frying pan, combine 1 teaspoon oil and the onion. Stir often over medium-high heat until onion is limp, about 3 minutes. Add tortillas and remaining oil, turn heat to high, and stir until small bits start to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3. Scatter tortilla mixture in an 8- by 12-inch oval or rectangular casserole (at least 2 in. deep).
- 4. Shred 2 cups cheese; sprinkle 1 cup over the tortilla mixture. Cut remaining cheese into sticks about 1/4 inch thick.
- 5. Drain chilies and stuff equally with cheese sticks. Lay chilies in a single layer in casserole. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- 6. Separate eggs. Whip whites with a mixer on high speed until they hold soft but distinct peaks; set aside.
- 7. Mix egg yolks (use unwashed beaters) with flour, then beat on high speed until paler in color, about 2 minutes. Beat half of the whites into the yolks, then fold in remaining whites and pour mixture over chilies, scraping bowl. Top egg mixture with shredded cheese.
- 8. Bake in a 375° oven until topping is golden brown and feels firm when lightly touched, about 15 minutes. Cutting through chilies, scoop from casserole to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Casseroles