Chile and Lime Steak Tortas
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Karen Shinto
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 301
- Calories from fat: 54%
- Protein: 18g
- Fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrate: 17g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Sodium: 481mg
- Cholesterol: 42mg
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound flap meat* or skirt steak, cut into 3- to 4-in.-wide strips if needed
- 8 small dinner rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) sliced jalapeños, drained
- About 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1. Mix lime juice, chile powder, oil, and salt in a medium bowl. Add steak, turning to coat evenly with marinade. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
- 2. Heat grill to high (450° to 550°). Cook steak, covered, turning once, until grill marks appear and steak is slightly pink in the center, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes, then slice thinly to fit in rolls.
- 3. Open rolls and sprinkle each with about 2 tbsp. cheese. Grill rolls, cut sides up and covered, until crisp and cheese starts to melt, about 1 minute.
- 4. Fill rolls with steak, avocado, half the jalapeños, and a drizzle of crema. Serve with remaining jalapeños on the side.
- *Available at most Latino markets.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Appetizers