- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound flap meat* or skirt steak, cut into 3- to 4-in.-wide strips if needed
- 8 small dinner rolls, split
- 1 cup shredded jack cheese
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 2 cans (4 oz. each) sliced jalapeños, drained
- About 1/4 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- calories 301
- caloriesfromfat 54 %
- protein 18 g
- fat 18 g
- satfat 6.5 g
- carbohydrate 17 g
- fiber 3.1 g
- sodium 481 mg
- cholesterol 42 mg
How to Make It
Mix lime juice, chile powder, oil, and salt in a medium bowl. Add steak, turning to coat evenly with marinade. Chill at least 30 minutes and up to 3 hours.
Heat grill to high (450° to 550°). Cook steak, covered, turning once, until grill marks appear and steak is slightly pink in the center, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest 10 minutes, then slice thinly to fit in rolls.
Open rolls and sprinkle each with about 2 tbsp. cheese. Grill rolls, cut sides up and covered, until crisp and cheese starts to melt, about 1 minute.
Fill rolls with steak, avocado, half the jalapeños, and a drizzle of crema. Serve with remaining jalapeños on the side.
*Available at most Latino markets.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.