Chile-Lime Pineapple with Cardamom-Lime Ice Cream
This delightful combination of silky ice cream and sweet-tart-spicy pineapple can be made several days in advance and requires no ice-cream maker. Soaking the lime rind in boiling water helps remove any bitterness and softens the strips.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 248
- Calories from fat: 21%
- Fat: 5.9g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 49g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 22mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Sodium: 53mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- Ice cream:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 large pasteurized egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice (about 3 limes)
- 1 teaspoon grated lime rind
- 2 cups boiling water, divided
- 2 tablespoons (1-inch) julienne-cut lime rind
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
- 1 hot red or green chile, seeded and minced
- 1 large pineapple, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 (1/2-inch) slices
- To prepare ice cream, combine first 3 ingredients in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir to dissolve sugar; cook 3 minutes.
- While sugar syrup cooks, place egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add cream of tartar; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form. Gradually pour hot sugar syrup in a thin stream over egg whites, beating at high speed until mixture is glossy and stiff (about 5 minutes).
- Combine buttermilk, cream, 1/3 cup juice, and 1 teaspoon rind, stirring with a whisk; gently fold into egg white mixture. Spoon into a freezer-safe bowl; cover and freeze 8 hours or overnight.
- To prepare pineapple, pour 1 cup of boiling water over 2 tablespoons rind in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Drain. Repeat procedure with remaining 1 cup boiling water and rind.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick (do not stir). Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons rind, 1/4 cup juice, and chile. Cool completely.
- Place pineapple slices on a platter. Pour chile-lime syrup over pineapple; cover and chill at least 30 minutes. Serve pineapple and syrup with the ice cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note