It might be pleasing to a lot of folks but this recipe is not even close to how chilaquiles are prepared. Not even close. For starters the tortilla chips are leftover tortillas or some specially dried, cut into triangles. The dried tortilla chips are then lightly toasted in very little oil, then in a larger pan the prepared salsa is gurgling. Join the tortilla chips into the salsa and cook until the tortillas have reconstituted and are just lightly chewy, not soggy or mushy ( although many do prefer them this way) and they certainly are not crunchy as the chips have absorbed the delicious salsa, serve hot with a dollop of sour cream. I'll leave the preparation of the salsa in which the tortilla chip cook, to the individual as there are so many ways of doing it.
Before there were nachos, there were chilaquiles. Tomatoes and spices simmer with any kind of meat to make the ideal topping for tortilla chips. Here, chipotle, chicken, and cilantro meld in this filling Mexican favorite.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups soup, 1/2 cup tortilla chips, and 1 tablespoon cheese)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 2.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.8g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 25.4g
- Carbohydrate: 22.9g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 55mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 623mg
- Calcium: 92mg
- 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (about 2 1/2 pounds), skinned
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red onion
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green bell pepper
- 3/4 cup fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chopped chipotle chile, canned in adobo sauce
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced fire-roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 5 cups baked tortilla chips
- 2.67 ounces crumbled queso fresco (about 2/3 cup)
- 1. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan. Cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- 2. While chicken cooks, combine onion and next 9 ingredients (through green chiles) in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Transfer chicken to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 hours.
- 3. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Remove meat from bones; discard bones. Return meat to soup. Divide tortilla chips among 8 bowls. Ladle soup over tortilla chips; sprinkle with cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes