- 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
- 1/4 cup Banyuls* or sherry vinegar
- About 3/4 tsp. kosher salt, divided
- About 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds (5 small heads) frisée, dark green parts saved for another use, light parts torn into bite-size pieces
- 2/3 pound radicchio (1 medium head), end trimmed, torn into bite-size pieces
- 4 firm-ripe Fuyu persimmons, peeled, cored, and sliced into wedges
- 2 cups pomegranate seeds (from 1 large pomegranate)
- 1 cup toasted walnut pieces*
- calories 229
- caloriesfromfat 64 %
- protein 2.7 g
- fat 17 g
- satfat 2.1 g
- carbohydrate 21 g
- fiber 3.9 g
- sodium 100 mg
- cholesterol 0.0 mg
How to Make It
Make vinaigrette: Put shallots and vinegar in a bowl with 1/4 tsp. salt and let sit 20 minutes to 1 hour. Add 1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper; whisk in oil.
Put frisée, radicchio, persimmons, pomegranate, and walnuts in a large bowl. Toss with as much dressing as you like (you may have some left over) and add salt and pepper to taste.
*Find slightly sweet, complex French Banyuls vinegar, made from Grenache wine grapes and aged in oak, at igourmet.com ($16/500 ml.). Toast walnuts in a 350° oven until golden, 10 minutes.
Make ahead: The salad components, chilled separately up to 1 day.