Wow! The flavors were awesome! Served this as a main course over polenta with a balsamic pear salad (CL favorite from eons ago) on the side. Hubbie raved! Great vegan dish...who needs meat when beans and veggies can taste so good!
Chickpeas and Spinach with Smoky Paprika
Smoked paprika is worth hunting down in a good spice section or store. If you don't have it, substitute 1 teaspoon sweet paprika and 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper. Serve this mixture on grilled or toasted bread.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 86
- Fat: 1.9g
- Saturated fat: 0.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 3.1g
- Carbohydrate: 14.6g
- Fiber: 3.5g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 1.8mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Calcium: 64mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 cups thinly sliced onion
- 5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon Spanish smoked paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1 (9-ounce) package fresh spinach
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic to pan; cover and cook for 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in smoked paprika, and cook for 1 minute. Add white wine, vegetable broth, and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add chickpeas; reduce heat, and simmer until sauce thickens slightly (about 15 minutes), stirring occasionally. Add spinach; cover and cook for 2 minutes or until spinach wilts. Stir in parsley and vinegar.
This recipe appeared in The New Way to Cook Light (2012) and in the November, 2012 25th anniversary issue.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note