Delicious! I doubled the recipe and used plain Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream. My family couldn't get enough of it.
- Vegetable oil
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained*
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 1/2 cup salsa verde or green chile sauce*
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 6 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 5 ounces reduced-fat feta cheese, crumbled
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 inches into a large skillet. Heat to 375°. Fry tortillas, 1 at a time, over medium-high heat 30 seconds on each side or until crisp and lightly browned. Drain and keep warm.
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, and garlic in hot olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until tender. Add chickpeas and next 4 ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Process chickpea mixture in a food processor or with a hand blender until smooth. Return mixture to skillet. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until very thick. Stir in lime juice, and cook 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir together sour cream and salsa.
- Spread chickpea mixture evenly over tortillas. Top evenly with lettuce and tomato. Drizzle with sour cream mixture, and sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.
- * 1 1/2 (15-ounce) cans navy beans may be substituted for chickpeas. 2 canned jalapeño peppers and 2 drops liquid smoke may be substituted for chipotle peppers. 1/2 cup salsa may be substituted for salsa verde.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note