I followed the recipe directly and it came out just fine with a firm, if somewhat gummy, texture to the cakes. I froze the extra for a quick weeknight supper.
Chickpea Cake with Fava Leaves and Arugula Salad
Photo: Annabelle Breakey; Styling: Kevin Crafts
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 395
- Calories from fat: 61%
- Protein: 9.2g
- Fat: 28g
- Saturated fat: 3.9g
- Carbohydrate: 30g
- Fiber: 6.2g
- Sodium: 987mg
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- CHICKPEA CAKE
- About 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 2/3 cups chickpea (garbanzo) flour*
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast*
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups lightly packed fava leaves or baby spinach*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ARUGULA SALAD
- 1 qt. lightly packed baby arugula
- 1/2 cup fennel fronds
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Fennel and Orange Dressing
- 1. Make chickpea cake: Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large, wide pot over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring often, until translucent, about 7 minutes. Add broth and heat until simmering. Sprinkle in chickpea flour and yeast, whisking until smooth.
- 2. Transfer mixture to a food processor. Purée until as smooth as baby food. Stir in thyme, fava leaves, and salt. Pour into a greased 9- by 13-in. baking dish. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on top and use your hand to level mixture. Chill until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours and up to 2 days.
- 3. Invert cake onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 squares, then cut each square again diagonally to make 24 triangles.
- 4. Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown triangles, turning once, 8 minutes total; add oil as needed. Set on 6 plates.
- 5. Make salad: Toss arugula, fennel fronds, parsley, and half the vinaigrette in a bowl. Spoon salad over chickpea triangles and serve remaining dressing on the side.
- *Find chickpea flour and nutritional yeast at natural-food stores or well-stocked grocery stores. Find fava leaves at farmers' markets; if using spinach leaves instead, increase chickpea flour to 2 cups.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving with 3 tbsp. dressing. Total time does not include chilling time.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes