We liked this a lot, but I did make a few refinements like adding sun-dried tomato strips, fresh oregano, and using only 4 cups of stock. I also used a crusty, chewy ciabatta loaf--cubed in the morning and let the cubes stand uncovered through the day to dry out a bit, thus eliminating a potential sogginess problem. No harissa in the store, so I made my own from a recipe on the internet--fabulous! 1TB olive oil, 1/2 TB red wine vinegar, 1 TB minced roast red bell pepper, a garlic clove, 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. ground red pepper, and 1 TB cilantro. Absolutely wonderful mixture and so easy! I served this soup with an antipasto platter of greek olives, cucumber and artichoke slices, and some crumbled feta cheese.
Chickpea, Bread, and Leek Soup with Harissa and Yogurt
This hearty Middle Eastern-inspired soup is based on a favorite at Garden State Cart. Look for harissa—a fiery North African condiment incorporating chile peppers, tomatoes, and paprika—in tubes and cans at ethnic grocery stores and specialty shops.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 334
- Fat: 7.6g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.1g
- Protein: 11.8g
- Carbohydrate: 57g
- Fiber: 6.7g
- Cholesterol: 2.5mg
- Iron: 6mg
- Sodium: 805mg
- Calcium: 226mg
- 4 large leeks (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (19-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 1/2 cups cubed day-old bread (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 6 teaspoons harissa
- 1. Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving white and light green parts of each leek. Cut each leek in half lengthwise. Cut each half crosswise into thin slices. Rinse with cold water; drain.
- 2. Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add leeks to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Add cumin and garlic; cook for 1 minute.
- 3. Add chicken broth and chickpeas; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 15 minutes. Stir in parsley. Place about 2/3 cup bread in each of 6 bowls; ladle about 1 1/3 cups soup over each serving. Combine 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt and 6 teaspoons harissa in a small bowl. Top each serving with 2 tablespoons yogurt mixture.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note