Chickpea-Artichoke Stew with Rouille
You can complete the stew just before your guests arrive. Rouille (roo-EE), French for "rust," is a spicy sauce that adds a burst of flavor to soups and stews.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups stew and 2 tablespoons rouille)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 226
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 37.2g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 802mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 2 leeks (about 1 pound)
- 1 (8-ounce) fennel bulb with stalks
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 8 (8-ounce) cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 small artichokes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced peeled baking potato
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of dark leaves. Slice leeks in half lengthwise; rinse with cold water. Drain. Remove dark leaves; chop dark leaves to measure 1 1/2 cups; set aside. Chop bulb ends to measure 2 cups; set aside.
- Remove stalks from fennel bulb. Chop the stalks to measure 1 1/2 cups; set aside. Chop bulb to measure 2 cups; set aside.
- Combine chopped dark leek leaves, chopped fennel stalks, 5 cups water, wine, and fennel seeds in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes. Strain leek mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving stock; discard solids.
- While the vegetable mixture simmers, combine 8 cups water and lemon juice. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem to within 1 inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon. Cut artichoke lengthwise into quarters; place in lemon water. Repeat procedure with remaining artichokes.
- Drain artichokes; discard lemon water. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add chopped leek bulbs, salt, and pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel bulb, artichoke quarters, reserved stock, potato, chickpeas, tomatoes, and saffron; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with Rouille.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews