Chickpea-Artichoke Stew with Rouille
You can complete the stew just before your guests arrive. Rouille (roo-EE), French for "rust," is a spicy sauce that adds a burst of flavor to soups and stews.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups stew and 2 tablespoons rouille)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 226
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Carbohydrate: 37.2g
- Fiber: 7.3g
- Cholesterol: 0.0mg
- Iron: 3.2mg
- Sodium: 802mg
- Calcium: 113mg
- 2 leeks (about 1 pound)
- 1 (8-ounce) fennel bulb with stalks
- 5 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 8 (8-ounce) cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 small artichokes (about 8 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups diced peeled baking potato
- 1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- Remove roots, outer leaves, and tops from leeks, leaving 1 1/2 to 2 inches of dark leaves. Slice leeks in half lengthwise; rinse with cold water. Drain. Remove dark leaves; chop dark leaves to measure 1 1/2 cups; set aside. Chop bulb ends to measure 2 cups; set aside.
- Remove stalks from fennel bulb. Chop the stalks to measure 1 1/2 cups; set aside. Chop bulb to measure 2 cups; set aside.
- Combine chopped dark leek leaves, chopped fennel stalks, 5 cups water, wine, and fennel seeds in a large Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 25 minutes. Strain leek mixture through a sieve over a bowl, reserving stock; discard solids.
- While the vegetable mixture simmers, combine 8 cups water and lemon juice. Working with 1 artichoke at a time, cut off stem to within 1 inch of base; peel stem. Remove bottom leaves and tough outer leaves, leaving tender heart and bottom. Cut artichoke in half lengthwise. Remove fuzzy thistle from bottom with a spoon. Cut artichoke lengthwise into quarters; place in lemon water. Repeat procedure with remaining artichokes.
- Drain artichokes; discard lemon water. Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add chopped leek bulbs, salt, and pepper; sauté 5 minutes. Add garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Stir in chopped fennel bulb, artichoke quarters, reserved stock, potato, chickpeas, tomatoes, and saffron; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Serve with Rouille.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note