Chicken with Red Wine Broth
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 335
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 9.5g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.8g
- Protein: 49.3g
- Carbohydrate: 10.9g
- Fiber: 0.8g
- Cholesterol: 156mg
- Iron: 4.6mg
- Sodium: 669mg
- Calcium: 73mg
- 4 pounds chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 2 large carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 2 (750-milliliter) bottles zinfandel or other full-bodied red wine, divided
- 7 thyme sprigs
- 1 bunch parsley stems
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (3 1/2-pound) whole chicken, quartered and skinned
- 3 1/2 cups quartered cremini mushrooms (about 10 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. Preheat oven to 450°.
- 2. To prepare broth, arrange chicken drumsticks, carrots, and onion in a single layer in the bottom of 2 broiler pans or roasting pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 450° for 30 minutes. Turn chicken over; rotate pans on oven racks. Bake 30 minutes or until browned.
- 3. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a 6-quart stockpot. Carefully discard drippings from broiler pans, leaving browned bits. Place 1 broiler pan on stovetop; add 2 cups wine to pan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Carefully pour contents of broiler pan into stockpot. Repeat procedure with remaining broiler pan and 2 cups wine.
- 4. Add remaining wine, thyme, parsley, and bay leaf to stockpot; bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low, and simmer gently 2 hours, skimming foam and fat from the surface occasionally. Strain broth through a fine sieve into a large bowl. Discard solids. Cover and chill broth for 8 hours or overnight. Skim solidified fat from surface of broth; discard fat.
- 5. To prepare chicken, heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add chicken quarters to pan; cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan. Wipe drippings from pan with paper towels. Add chicken quarters, mushrooms, and broth to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan; cover and keep warm.
- 6. Simmer broth mixture until liquid is reduced to about 1 1/2 cups (about 25 minutes). Combine flour and butter, stirring with a fork until a paste forms. Add flour mixture to pan, stirring with a whisk; simmer 4 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in salt and pepper. Spoon sauce over chicken; sprinkle with parsley.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This