Chicken with Polenta
This hearty dish features a creamy homemade polenta topped with grilled chicken strips and a flavorful wine sauce. To prepare this recipe ahead of time, grill the chicken, cut into strips, and chill. Make the polenta just before serving, and reheat the chicken in the microwave.
- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal*
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 to 10 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
- Bring 4 1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and cheese.
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 7 minutes on each side or until done. Cool to touch, and cut into thin strips; set aside.
- Sauté bell pepper and onion in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender. Add corn; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in wine; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in juice, remaining 1/2 cup broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve over polenta and chicken strips.
- *1 cup regular grits may be substituted for cornmeal. Bring 4 cups chicken broth to a boil, and stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and cheese.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This