- 5 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1 1/3 cups yellow cornmeal*
- 3/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 to 10 skinned and boned chicken breast halves
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1 large Vidalia onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups fresh corn kernels (about 4 ears)
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- Garnish: chopped fresh chives
How to Make It
Bring 4 1/2 cups chicken broth to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat. Gradually whisk in cornmeal. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring often, 30 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and cheese.
Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and black pepper.
Grill chicken over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 7 minutes on each side or until done. Cool to touch, and cut into thin strips; set aside.
Sauté bell pepper and onion in hot oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat 7 minutes or until tender. Add corn; sauté 4 minutes. Stir in wine; simmer 5 minutes. Stir in juice, remaining 1/2 cup broth, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ground red pepper; simmer 10 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve over polenta and chicken strips.
*1 cup regular grits may be substituted for cornmeal. Bring 4 cups chicken broth to a boil, and stir in grits. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in half-and-half and cheese.