- 4 skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 12 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or water
- 1/2 cup Marsala or white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 lemons, sliced
- Hot cooked spaghetti (optional)
- Tomato pasta sauce (optional)
How to Make It
Place chicken breasts between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap; flatten to 1/2-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken evenly with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Combine 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish; dredge chicken in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Dip chicken in milk; dredge in breadcrumbs.
Pour olive oil to a depth of 1/4 inch in a large skillet. Fry chicken, in batches, in hot oil over medium-high heat 5 to 6 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings in pan.
Sauté garlic in hot drippings 20 seconds; add mushrooms, and sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Add green onions, parsley, and capers; sauté 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, next 3 ingredients, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Serve mushroom sauce over chicken. Serve with spaghetti topped with tomato pasta sauce, if desired.