Chicken with Lemon Grass and Chili (Ga Xao Xa Ot)
Notes: Serve with hot cooked rice, stir-fried green beans, and a light, broth-based soup.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 217
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Protein: 25g
- Fat: 8.7g
- Saturated fat: 1.8g
- Carbohydrate: 8.7g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Sodium: 404mg
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken thighs
- 2 stalks fresh lemon grass (each 10 to 12 in. long)
- About 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce (nuoc mam or nam pla)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1/2 cup sliced shallots
- 1/3 cup fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 3/4 to 2 teaspoons thinly sliced fresh hot red or green chili, such as Thai, serrano, jalapeño, or Fresno
- Fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1. Rinse chicken thighs and pat dry. Remove and discard any excess fat. Cut chicken into 1/4-inch-thick strips 2 to 3 inches long.
- 2. Rinse lemon grass. Cut off and discard tough tops and root ends; peel off and discard tough, outer green layers of stalks down to tender white portion of bulbs. Finely chop tender portions; you should have 5 to 7 tablespoons.
- 3. In a bowl, mix chicken, lemon grass, 2 tablespoons fish sauce, sugar, and garlic.
- 4. Set a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat; when hot, add oil and shallots and stir until shallots begin to brown, about 1 minute. Add chicken mixture and stir until chicken is no longer pink in the center (cut to test), about 3 minutes.
- 5. Stir in broth and sliced chili to taste; bring mixture to a boil. Taste, and add more fish sauce if desired. Spoon into a serving dish and sprinkle with cilantro.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes