This recipe was excellent. The vegetable combination was perfect for a Fall meal, since the ingredients are readily available and at their peak. It was easy to make and I can see using the same vegetable recipe to enhance fish or pasta dishes. I substituted diced tomatoes for the canned tomatoes and simply added more chicken broth to compensate for the missing liquid.
Chicken with Fennel, Tomatoes, and Zucchini
This dish is good served with egg noodles or with rice.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 2/3 cup vegetables, and 1 teaspoon fennel fonds)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 221
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 5.7g
- Saturated fat: 1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 28.9g
- Carbohydrate: 13.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 66mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 429mg
- Calcium: 78mg
- 6 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 5 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cups thinly sliced fennel bulb (about 2 small bulbs)
- 2 cups finely chopped zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds or fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Dredge the chicken in breadcrumbs. Heat 3 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken; sauté 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove from pan.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in pan over medium heat. Add fennel bulb, zucchini, and leek; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add broth and next 6 ingredients (broth through tomatoes). Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Return the chicken to pan; cover and cook 12 minutes or until the chicken is done. Sprinkle with fennel fronds.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note