Delicious! Very unique flavor. Labor intensive, but soooo worth it. Will make this again next time we have guests!
Chicken with Fennel, Tomato, and Tarragon Vinegar
Tarragon vinegar provides this hearty stewlike dish with the delicate flavors of white wine and herbs. Whipping cream stirred in at the end rounds out the sauce, but it's not necessary. Serve over rice.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 227
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Protein: 26g
- Carbohydrate: 14.6g
- Fiber: 4.7g
- Cholesterol: 99mg
- Iron: 2.5mg
- Sodium: 650mg
- Calcium: 81mg
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup tarragon vinegar
- 2 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 2 cups chopped seeded peeled tomato
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side. Remove from pan. Add fennel; cook 5 minutes, turning to brown. Remove from pan. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds. Add broth, vinegar, and 2 tarragon sprigs, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Add fennel; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 7 minutes. Add chicken; cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove chicken and fennel from pan, and keep warm.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, tomato, cream, and sugar to pan; bring to a boil. Cook until reduced to 1 cup (about 10 minutes), stirring frequently. Serve over chicken and fennel. Garnish with additional tarragon sprigs, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note