This was ok. The sundries tomatoes gave the dish it's flavor, but the sauce was watery. I used whole wheat orzo, and that helped to balance the sauce. Next time, I'll try cooking the orzo like risotto, as suggested in the Jan/Feb 2014 issue. I served steamed broccoli with goat cheese and toasted pine nuts as the side.
Chicken with Dried Tomato Sauce
Balsamic vinegar and dried tomatoes give this simple chicken dish sophisticated flavor. If one of your kids cleans his or her plate, you may have a future chef on your hands.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 219
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 4g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.7g
- Protein: 40.3g
- Carbohydrate: 3.1g
- Fiber: 0.7g
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Sodium: 666mg
- Calcium: 30mg
- 1 (8-oz.) jar dried tomatoes in oil
- 4 (6-oz.) skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Garnish: fresh oregano sprig
- 1. Drain 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil from jar of tomatoes into a large skillet; set aside. Remove 1/4 cup dried tomatoes from jar, and finely chop. Refrigerate remaining tomatoes and oil in jar for another use.
- 2. Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten to 1/2-inch thickness, using a meat mallet or rolling pin. Sprinkle chicken with 1/8 tsp. salt and pepper.
- 3. Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp. reserved oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm.
- 4. Add chopped dried tomatoes, remaining 1/8 tsp. salt, chicken broth, oregano, and vinegar to pan; bring to a boil, scraping to loosen browned bits from pan. Cook 3 minutes or until broth mixture is reduced to about 1/2 cup. Serve sauce over chicken. Garnish, if desired.
- MENU IDEA FOR 4 * Chicken with Dried Tomato Sauce * Basmati rice * Steamed green beans
- GROCERIES NEEDED Check staples: salt, pepper, dried oregano, balsamic vinegar * 1 (8-oz.) jar dried tomatoes in oil * 4 (6-oz.) skinned and boned chicken breasts * 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth * 1 bunch fresh oregano (optional) * 1 package basmati rice * 1 lb. fresh or frozen green beans
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note