Chicken with Caramelized Onions, Apples, and Provolone
Cook sweet apples and golden onions with chicken and then top with cheese.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half, 1/4 cup onion mixture, and 1/2 cheese slice)
More From Oxmoor House
Amount per serving
- Calories: 294
- Calories from fat: 24%
- Fat: 7.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.2g
- Protein: 43.6g
- Carbohydrate: 10.7g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 108mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 527mg
- Calcium: 142mg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1 medium McIntosh apple, peeled and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- Cooking spray
- 2 (1-ounce) slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 1. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 18 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add apple and vinegar; cook an additional 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Remove onion mixture from pan; set aside.
- 2. Sprinkle chicken breast halves evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Coat pan with cooking spray; return pan to medium-high heat. Add chicken, and cook 6 to 7 minutes per side or until done.
- 3. Top each chicken breast evenly with onion mixture and cheese. Cook, covered, 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note