Chicken with Caramelized Onions
Although quick and easy to prepare, this dish is elegant enough for company.
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1/3 cup onion mixture)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 216
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 7.1g
- Saturated fat: 1.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Protein: 26.8g
- Carbohydrate: 10.4g
- Fiber: 2.2g
- Cholesterol: 71mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 266mg
- Calcium: 38mg
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 6 cups thinly sliced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth, divided
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 6 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
- Coat a large skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium heat until hot. Add onion; cover and cook 10 minutes or until deep golden, stirring frequently.
- Combine salt, thyme, red pepper, and black pepper, and stir well. Sprinkle half of spice mixture over onions. Add 1/4 cup of chicken broth to the onion mixture, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add 2 tablespoons broth, and cook until liquid evaporates, scraping bottom of skillet with a wooden spoon to loosen the browned bits.
- Repeat procedure with remaining 2 tablespoons broth. Add vinegar, and cook an additional 2 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates. Remove onion mixture from pan; set aside, and keep warm.
- Rub chicken with remaining spice mixture. Recoat skillet with cooking spray, and place over medium-high heat until hot. Add the chicken, and cook for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Serve the caramelized onion mixture over chicken.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note