Here's another recipe I have reviewed previously, so I guess new site has dumped all the old reviews. This is a favorite of ours as well and it adapts to whatever you have on hand as far as the zucchini and sherry go...I often use aspargus or green beans, or in a pinch, frozen peas. The sherry doesn't really add much, so if it's not available, no problem. Just be sure to use the full amount of mushrooms or more, if you like them, and as stated above, leftovers are very good.
Chicken with Barley and Mushrooms
Hedi Gerken developed this one-pan dinner for her husband, who loves the nutty flavor of barley. Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 550
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Protein: 51g
- Fat: 14g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Carbohydrate: 53g
- Fiber: 11g
- Sodium: 1268mg
- Cholesterol: 101mg
- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/8-in.-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-in.-thick slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan, then add remaining oil, mushrooms, and onion. Cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- 2. Add wine to hot pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape browned bits off bottom. Add 1 1/2 cups broth and barley and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until most of liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, about 25 minutes.
- 3. Stir in remaining 2 cups broth, sherry, carrots, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Return chicken and mushroom mixture to pan, add zucchini and parsley, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Stir in parmesan and serve.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes