- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon each salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, quartered
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise, and cut into 1/8-in.-thick slices
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 small zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-in.-thick slices
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- calories 550
- caloriesfromfat 23 %
- protein 51 g
- fat 14 g
- satfat 2.6 g
- carbohydrate 53 g
- fiber 11 g
- sodium 1268 mg
- cholesterol 101 mg
How to Make It
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and season with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sauté until lightly browned, about 6 minutes. Remove chicken from pan, then add remaining oil, mushrooms, and onion. Cook until mushrooms are lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 2 minutes more. Using a slotted spoon, transfer mushroom mixture to a bowl and set aside.
Add wine to hot pan and use a wooden spoon to scrape browned bits off bottom. Add 1 1/2 cups broth and barley and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and cook until most of liquid is absorbed and barley is tender, about 25 minutes.
Stir in remaining 2 cups broth, sherry, carrots, and thyme. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 10 minutes. Return chicken and mushroom mixture to pan, add zucchini and parsley, and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Stir in parmesan and serve.
Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.