Love Love Love this recipe. The sauce really makes it so make sure you have extra bread!!!! This doesn't need to be made with whole chickens so feel free to pick your favorite cuts of the chicken.
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic is classic French comfort food at its simple and satisfying best. One of the basic tenets of French cuisine is making full use of ingredients—hence, whole chickens in this recipe.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 343
- Calories from fat: 36%
- Fat: 13.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.4g
- Protein: 29.6g
- Carbohydrate: 24.2g
- Fiber: 2g
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- Iron: 2.3mg
- Sodium: 468mg
- Calcium: 58mg
- 2 (3-pound) whole chickens
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extravirgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 24 (1/4-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut French bread baguette
- Chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chickens. Rinse chickens with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat; remove skin. Cut each chicken into 8 pieces. Combine butter and oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over chicken. Add half of chicken pieces to pan; cook 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic; cook 1 minute or until garlic begins to brown, stirring frequently. Arrange chicken on top of garlic. Add broth and wine; cover and cook 25 minutes or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Increase heat to medium-high; cook 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 1 cup. Serve sauce and garlic with chicken and bread. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.
In a pinch, you can substitute six pounds of chicken pieces. The garlic softens in flavor as it roasts and is easy to spread over the baguette slices. Serve with steamed asparagus.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note