Yum! I like to think of this as rice pilaf on steroids - a simple rice pilaf chalk full of yummy chicken, sausage, artichokes, and olives. I served it with a simple salad in dijon vinaigrette on the side, which made a filling and quick weeknight meal.
Chicken and Wild Rice with Smoked Sausage
On hectic days, nothing beats a one-pot entrée. Artichoke hearts and black olives jazz up this rice-based dish. All you need is a simple salad to complete the meal.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 340
- Calories from fat: 9%
- Fat: 3.3g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Protein: 27.7g
- Carbohydrate: 48.4g
- Fiber: 4.6g
- Cholesterol: 51mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 895mg
- Calcium: 57mg
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 (14-ounce) package reduced-fat smoked sausage (such as Healthy Choice), cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices portobello mushroom caps (about 8 ounces)
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (6.2-ounce) packages fast-cooking recipe long-grain and wild rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 (14-ounce) can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 (2 1/4-ounce) can sliced ripe olives
- Heat a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; sauté 4 minutes or until done. Remove from pan; keep warm.
- Recoat pan with cooking spray. Add sausage; sauté 5 minutes or until browned. Add mushrooms, 2 cups onion, and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and rice, omitting seasoning packets; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Stir in chicken, green onions, artichokes, and olives. Cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes