This soup is delicious! I used 2 cups of skim milk and 1 cup of 2% just to use up what I had at home. I also used 7oz bag of reduced fat sharp cheddar instead of Velveeta. These substitutions seemed to work out well.
Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
Light cheese and a flour-and-milk mixture keep this chicken and wild rice soup creamy but surprisingly low in fat. Make a batch of soup and reheat throughout the week for effortless and satisfying meals.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 280
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 24.9g
- Carbohydrate: 28.7g
- Fiber: 1.6g
- Cholesterol: 52mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 879mg
- Calcium: 329mg
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking wild rice
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups cubed peeled baking potato
- 3 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounce light processed cheese, cubed (such as Velveeta Light)
- 2 cups chopped roasted skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 2 breasts)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth and potato; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes or until potato is tender.
- Combine milk and flour, stirring well with a whisk. Add the milk mixture to potato mixture; cook 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; add cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in rice, chicken, pepper, and salt. Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This