I have never written a review before but decided to for this recipe because it was just so good! Followed recipe exactly and it turned out great. I would definitely take this as a dish to a special occasion. The fig vinegar is awesome!
Chicken and Wild Rice Salad with Almonds
"The fig vinegar makes this dressing spectacular and unique, but you can substitute white wine vinegar if you can't find it. I make this often because it is easy and keeps several days in the refrigerator." –Ashley Bone, Spring Hill, Tenn. Another online reviewer claims that this chicken and rice salad recipe is, "Easy to make and wonderful flavors. Even the kids liked it!"
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 352
- Fat: 10.3g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 25g
- Carbohydrate: 40.6g
- Fiber: 4g
- Cholesterol: 49mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Sodium: 357mg
- Calcium: 42mg
- 1/4 cup fig vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1. To prepare dressing, combine first 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Gradually add oil, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Cover and chill.
- 2. Combine broth, rice, and butter in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove rice mixture from heat; cool.
- 3. Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 8 minutes on each side or until done. Cool; cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
- 4. Combine cooked rice, chicken, celery, carrots, cranberries, almonds, and red onion in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss gently to coat. Cover and chill.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note