Totally agree with srwfromorange's review. This was bland and not at all creamy. I tasted it before putting in the casserole and decided to add some fresh herbs (rosemary & thyme), but even those didn't help. Maybe I should have put the bacon back in it!
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
You'll find the same full flavor in our Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole but this version of the chicken comfort dish comes with less-heavy ingredients.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour
- Calories: 475
- Fat: 16.9g
- Saturated fat: 6.6g
- Sodium: 535mg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted chicken stock
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped leek
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups cooked brown and wild rice blend
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 2. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook 6 minutes. Add garlic and flour; cook 2 minutes. Gradually add stock, stirring constantly; bring to a boil. Remove from heat; stir in 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cream cheese.
- 3. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Remove bacon. Add mushrooms to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes. Add 2 teaspoons canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chopped leek, celery, and carrot; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in sherry; bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Add leek mixture, chicken, brown and wild rice blend, parsley, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to sauce; toss to combine. Scrape mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Toss breadcrumbs with melted butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note