- 2 (2 1/2- to 3-pound) broiler-fryers, cut up
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 2 fresh celery leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 medium-size green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked regular rice
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (3-ounce) jar pimiento-stuffed olives, sliced
- 1 (17-ounce) can English peas, drained (optional)
How to Make It
Combine first 6 ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Add enough water to cover chicken; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken from broth, and cool; strain broth, reserving 1 cup. Remove chicken from bones, and coarsely chop meat. Set aside.
Combine reserved broth, green pep>per, rice, and tomatoes in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Combine chicken, rice mixture, mushrooms, olives, and peas, if desired. Stir well, and spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9- x 2-inch baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 to 40 minutes.