Fantastic, quick, week night meal. I used my crockpot to cook the chicken during the day. At night, I simply pulled the ingredients together and we had a nice hearty stew.
Chicken, White Bean, and Spinach Stew
Andrea's wine pick: The earthy beans and cheesy pitas need the balance of a rustic red, like the spicy Sierra Cantabria Crianza Rioja from Spain ($16.75).
More From Health
- Calories: 447
- Fat: 7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 40g
- Carbohydrate: 56g
- Fiber: 12g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Iron: 8mg
- Sodium: 356mg
- Calcium: 200mg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium coarsely chopped onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 2 (16-ounce) cans cannellini beans or other white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 canned plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 3 ounces baby spinach leaves (3 packed cups), coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1. Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook 5 minutes or until softened, stirring. Add garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute, stirring. Add beans, water, tomatoes, and broth. Increase heat to high until stew begins to bubble. Reduce heat; let simmer 5 minutes, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Add more water, if needed.
- 2. Add spinach, stirring until wilted. Add chicken; cook 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note