I'm giving this recipe a 3 because of the amount of work it is if you follow the recipe as written. I took the advice of another reviewer and simplified this by throwing the ingredients for the salsa verde in the food processor and then just cooking everything with the chicken in the slow cooker. That was easy and tasty and I would make it again.
Make your friends "green" with envy at your slow cooker savvy by serving up this savory Southwestern-style entrée, loaded with tomatillos, onion, and roasted poblano and jalapeño peppers. Corn tortillas and a simple green salad round out the menu.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 282
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Carbohydrate: 20.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 5 poblano chiles (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 jalapeño peppers (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 5 1/2 cups chopped tomatillos (about 1 3/4 pounds; about 16 small)
- 2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 6 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Place poblano chiles and jalapeno peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning occasionally. Place peppers in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles and peppers; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes. Chop poblano chiles. Finely chop jalapeno peppers.
- 3. Combine poblano chiles, jalapeño peppers, tomatillos, and next 4 ingredients (through green chiles) in a large bowl.
- 4. Sprinkle chicken with cumin and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken to pan. Cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Pour tomatillo mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 5. Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until reduced to 4 1/2 cups.
- 6. Serve chicken with sauce. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note