I altered this quite a bit because of circumstances (I realized I don't have a crock pot anymore and such) but ended up with a really tasty version. Basically I used the same ingredients but didn't brown the chicken or do anything with the chiles' but chop them up. I just put in whole chicken breasts as suggested in previous posts by others. Put it all in my heavy duty dutch oven and cooked it for about 3 hours. Shredded the chicken and served it over rice with the sour cream and cilantro. It was really good and made enough for plenty of leftovers which I expect to be even better.
Make your friends "green" with envy at your slow cooker savvy by serving up this savory Southwestern-style entrée, loaded with tomatillos, onion, and roasted poblano and jalapeño peppers. Corn tortillas and a simple green salad round out the menu.
More From Oxmoor House
- Calories: 282
- Calories from fat: 0.0%
- Fat: 6g
- Saturated fat: 0.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 37.1g
- Carbohydrate: 20.6g
- Fiber: 5g
- Cholesterol: 86mg
- Iron: 2.4mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Calcium: 55mg
- 5 poblano chiles (about 3/4 pound)
- 4 jalapeño peppers (about 4 1/2 ounces)
- 5 1/2 cups chopped tomatillos (about 1 3/4 pounds; about 16 small)
- 2 cups chopped onion (1 large)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 6 (8-ounce) bone-in chicken breast halves, skinned
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat sour cream (optional)
- 1. Preheat broiler.
- 2. Place poblano chiles and jalapeno peppers on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil 10 minutes or until blackened and charred, turning occasionally. Place peppers in a paper bag; fold to close tightly. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel chiles and peppers; cut in half lengthwise. Discard seeds and membranes. Chop poblano chiles. Finely chop jalapeno peppers.
- 3. Combine poblano chiles, jalapeño peppers, tomatillos, and next 4 ingredients (through green chiles) in a large bowl.
- 4. Sprinkle chicken with cumin and pepper. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of chicken to pan. Cook 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until browned. Place chicken in a 6-quart electric slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken. Pour tomatillo mixture over chicken. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender.
- 5. Remove chicken from slow cooker; keep warm. Pour sauce into a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until reduced to 4 1/2 cups.
- 6. Serve chicken with sauce. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro. Garnish with sour cream, if desired.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note