Absolutely easy and delicious!
Chicken-and-Vegetable Soup with Herb Dumplings
Photo/Styling: Aran Goyoaga
More From Coastal Living
Cool: 15 Minutes
- 1 (3-pound) whole chicken*
- 8 ounces baby carrots, halved
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 (12-ounce) bag frozen peeled pearl onions
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or vermouth (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1. Cut chicken into 6 or 8 pieces; remove and discard skin. Place chicken and next 7 ingredients in a large (6-quart) soup pot, stirring until well blended. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, covered, 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- 2. Remove pot from heat; remove chicken pieces from soup pot, reserving broth. Let chicken stand until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bones, and cut into bite-size pieces. Stir chicken and sherry, if desired, into broth mixture. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer.
- 3. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add buttermilk, stirring just until mixture comes together.
- 4. Drop tablespoons of dumpling batter into hot broth. Cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
- *Substitute 4 bone-in chicken breasts for the whole chicken, cut into pieces, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews