This is a very good chicken noodle soup. I did add a little chicken boullion at the end as the broth was a bit bland when finished, but that is the only thing I did differently. The use of the fall vegetables is fantastic! I will make this again. Thank you.
Americans of Eastern European heritage add a variety of root vegetables, such as turnips and parsnips, to chicken soup for subtle sweetness and bite. Feel free to omit them and simply add more carrot and leek, if you prefer. Be sure to cook the egg noodles separately so the starch in the noodles doesn't cloud the clear soup broth.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 404
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 14.2g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 4.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 36.5g
- Carbohydrate: 31.2g
- Fiber: 3.6g
- Cholesterol: 107mg
- Iron: 3.4mg
- Sodium: 392mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 (6-pound) roasting chicken
- 8 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups chopped celery (about 4 stalks)
- 2 cups thinly sliced leek (about 2 large)
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed parsnip (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed carrot (about 8 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed turnip (about 8 ounces)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh dill (optional)
- 8 ounces egg noodles
- Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Remove and discard skin from chicken; trim excess fat. Split chicken in half lengthwise; place in a Dutch oven. Cover with 8 cups water; bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes. Skim fat from surface of broth; discard fat. Add celery and next 4 ingredients (through turnip) to pan, stirring well; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken; let stand 10 minutes. Remove chicken from bones; shred chicken with 2 forks to yield 6 cups meat. Discard bones. Simmer vegetable mixture 10 minutes or until tender. Return shredded chicken to pan. Stir in salt, pepper, and dill, if desired.
- Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Place 1/2 cup noodles in each of 8 bowls; top each serving with 1 1/2 cups chicken mixture.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note