My husband and I thought the filling was good, but the crust left a lot to be desired. I revamped by using frozen puff pastry instead.
Chicken Vegetable Potpie
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 864mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 1/3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (about 2 1/3 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubes red potato
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, salt, and red pepper in a food processor; pulse 2 times. Add shortening; pulse 4 times or just until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly (do not form a ball). Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare filling, place potato in a shallow microwave-safe bowl; add 1 tablespoon water. Lightly cover with wax paper. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add leek, celery, and garlic; cook 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 3 minutes. Lightly spoon 1/2 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium bowl; add broth, stirring with a whisk. Stir broth mixture into leek mixture; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in potato, chicken, and remaining ingredients. Spoon into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Place dough, plastic wrap side up, over hot filling. Remove top sheets of plastic. Tuck in overlapping edges of dough. Cut 3 (1-inch) slits in top of dough. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until crust is browned and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes