My husband and I thought the filling was good, but the crust left a lot to be desired. I revamped by using frozen puff pastry instead.
Chicken Vegetable Potpie
Invest a little time in a flaky homemade whole wheat crust, and cut prep time by using precooked chicken breast, bottled minced garlic, and sliced button mushrooms. Frozen edamame (green soybeans) add another dose of fiber and good-for-you unsaturated fat.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 383
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 11.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.1g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 3.5g
- Protein: 27.1g
- Carbohydrate: 44g
- Fiber: 5.2g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 864mg
- Calcium: 48mg
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 1/3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour (about 2 1/3 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 4 to 5 tablespoons ice water
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubes red potato
- 1 tablespoon water
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sliced leek (about 1 large)
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (about 2 1/4 ounces)
- 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken breast (about 1 pound)
- 1 cup frozen shelled edamame (green soybeans), thawed
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- To prepare crust, lightly spoon 3/4 cup all-purpose flour and whole wheat flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flours, salt, and red pepper in a food processor; pulse 2 times. Add shortening; pulse 4 times or just until mixture resembles coarse meal. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Sprinkle ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, over flour mixture; toss with a fork until moist and crumbly (do not form a ball). Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on plastic wrap; cover. Chill 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- To prepare filling, place potato in a shallow microwave-safe bowl; add 1 tablespoon water. Lightly cover with wax paper. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until crisp-tender, stirring once.
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add leek, celery, and garlic; cook 4 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook 3 minutes. Lightly spoon 1/2 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Place flour in a medium bowl; add broth, stirring with a whisk. Stir broth mixture into leek mixture; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Stir in potato, chicken, and remaining ingredients. Spoon into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Slightly overlap 2 sheets of plastic wrap on a slightly damp surface. Unwrap and place chilled dough on plastic wrap. Cover dough with 2 additional sheets of overlapping plastic wrap. Roll dough, still covered, into a 12 x 8-inch rectangle. Remove top sheets of plastic wrap. Place dough, plastic wrap side up, over hot filling. Remove top sheets of plastic. Tuck in overlapping edges of dough. Cut 3 (1-inch) slits in top of dough. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes or until crust is browned and filling is bubbly. Remove from oven. Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Cut into 6 portions.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note