Grilled a roaster a bit larger than the recipe calls for so the grilling time was a bit longer. 45 minutes seems a bit hasty even with a smaller bird, though. Allow for additional cook time just in case. The taste was wonderful and I wouldn't think twice of serving this to company. I would cut down a bit on the kosher salt (use 1 tsp) as the reserve paste added at the end of the recipe is a bit salty. Another slight change was that I rubbed my herb paste under the skin as well as on both sides of the chicken before grilling. All in all a wonderfully easy way to prepare a "Sunday Chicken Roast" without having to heat up the kitchen.
Chicken Under a Skillet
Photo: Jennifer Davick; Styling: Jan Gautro
More From Southern Living
Total: 2 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 (3- to 4-lb.) whole chicken
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons herbes de Provence
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1. Remove and discard giblets and neck from chicken. Rinse chicken, and pat dry. Place chicken, breast side down, on a cutting board. Cut chicken, using kitchen shears, along both sides of backbone, separating backbone from chicken; discard backbone. Open chicken as you would a book. Turn chicken, breast side up, and press firmly against breastbone with the heel of your hand until bone cracks. Tuck wing tips under. Place chicken in a baking dish or pan.
- 2. Pulse garlic and next 8 ingredients in a food processor until mixture forms a thick paste. Reserve half of paste. Rub remaining half of paste on both sides of chicken. Cover chicken with plastic wrap, and chill 1 hour.
- 3. Heat one side of grill to 300º to 350° (medium) heat; leave other side unlit. Place chicken, breast side down, over lit side of grill; top with a piece of aluminum foil. Place a cast-iron skillet on foil-topped chicken to flatten. Grill, covered with grill lid, 10 to 15 minutes or until chicken is browned. Remove skillet and foil. Turn chicken over, and transfer to unlit side of grill. Grill, covered with grill lid, 45 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion of breast registers 165°. Remove chicken from grill, and let stand 5 minutes. Brush with reserved paste.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This