this was great! my grocer was out of mushrooms, so i had 2 grilled leg quarters left over and took meat off bones, then threw bones in with white onion, spices and chicken stock. used canned mushrooms later. added carrot slices and cabbage. used the tube spices: lemon grass, ginger, and basil. used chinese 5 spice but no honey. threw in cilantro at the end, along with sesame oil. i also love the udon beef noodle bowl recipe from CL.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 2 Minutes
- Calories: 354
- Fat: 7.8g
- Saturated fat: 1.1g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.2g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 28.4g
- Carbohydrate: 37.8g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 61mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 345mg
- Calcium: 45mg
- 1 (3 1/2-ounce) package fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 6 (1/4-inch) slices peeled fresh ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 star anise
- 6 ounces dried udon noodles (thick Japanese wheat noodles)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup sake (rice wine) or sherry or dry white wine
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup diagonally cut green onions
- 1. Remove stems from mushrooms; reserve stems. Thinly slice mushroom caps; set aside. Combine mushroom stems, Chicken Stock, and next 4 ingredients (through star anise) in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes. Strain stock through a sieve over a bowl; discard solids.
- 2. Cook udon noodles according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and rinse with cold water; drain well.
- 3. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add canola oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add reserved sliced mushroom caps to pan, and sauté for 2 minutes. Add minced ginger and minced garlic; sauté for 1 minute. Add sake, and cook for 4 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add stock to pan. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to medium-low. Add chicken, soy sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, and salt; simmer for 2 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly heated. Divide noodles evenly among 4 bowls. Add 1 1/2 cups soup to each bowl. Sprinkle each serving with 1 tablespoon green onions.
MyRecipes is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit www.choosemyplate.gov.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes