My family has refused turnips in the past, but loved these. The pomegranate sauce was delish and got high scores also. I will double or triple the sauce in the future and freeze to decrease dishes, there are a lot but the meal was worth it.
Chicken with Turnips and Pomegranate Sauce
Chicken with Turnips and Pomegranate Sauce is a comforting, winter dish. One taste, and you know exactly what season it is. The roasted chicken, earthy rice, and peppery turnips are classic comforts, but the Pomegranate Sauce makes the dish sing.
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- Calories: 489
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 45.1g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 678mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 large turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine 2 cups stock, rice, and thyme in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Drain. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 cup stock and juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook 20 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from heat; stir in arils.
- 4. Combine turnips, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl; toss to coat. Arrange turnip mixture on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until browned and tender, turning once.
- 5. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes. Turn chicken, and place pan in oven. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 6. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto each of 4 plates. Top evenly with about 1/3 cup turnips and 1 chicken breast half. Drizzle each serving with about 4 teaspoons pomegranate sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This
Food & Wine