I liked this a lot. Nice flavors that worked well together. The four pots/pans needed aren't ideal but washing dishes isn't that hard.
Chicken with Turnips and Pomegranate Sauce
Photo: Randy Mayor; Styling: Lindsey Lower
More From Cooking Light
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
Amount per serving
- Calories: 489
- Fat: 11.7g
- Saturated fat: 2g
- Monounsaturated fat: 6.3g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Protein: 45.1g
- Carbohydrate: 50.6g
- Fiber: 4.4g
- Cholesterol: 109mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Sodium: 678mg
- Calcium: 68mg
- 3 cups unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson), divided
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 teaspoons black pepper, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/2 cup pomegranate arils
- 2 large turnips, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 1. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Combine 2 cups stock, rice, and thyme in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 50 minutes. Drain. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- 3. Combine remaining 1 cup stock and juice in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and cook 20 minutes or until mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup. Remove from heat; stir in arils.
- 4. Combine turnips, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil in a bowl; toss to coat. Arrange turnip mixture on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until browned and tender, turning once.
- 5. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper over chicken. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes. Turn chicken, and place pan in oven. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until chicken is done.
- 6. Spoon about 1/2 cup rice onto each of 4 plates. Top evenly with about 1/3 cup turnips and 1 chicken breast half. Drizzle each serving with about 4 teaspoons pomegranate sauce.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note