It was super easy but a bit too spicy! I didn't add the serrano chile and next time will omit the cayenne as well. Didn't use the cheese as that was not available in my village. It could easily serve 6.
Chicken Tortilla Soup
Reader Christine Datian, of Las Vegas, likes to use lots of spices in this soup recipe. Our version is medium-hot, but if you like it a little spicier, use the higher amount of serrano chile and a pinch more cayenne.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 530
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Protein: 49g
- Fat: 17g
- Saturated fat: 4.9g
- Carbohydrate: 45g
- Fiber: 5.4g
- Sodium: 1459mg
- Cholesterol: 154mg
- 1 qt. reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boned, skinned chicken thighs, cubed
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 can (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 serrano chile, halved and sliced
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups coarsely crushed corn tortilla chips, divided
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Lime wedges
- 1. Heat broth, covered, in a medium pot over high heat until boiling. Add chicken, onion, tomatoes, chile, beans, and spices. Reduce heat; simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors. Stir in 1 cup tortilla chips; ladle into bowls.
- 2. Serve soup with remaining 1 cup chips, the cheese, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note