Chicken tortilla Soup
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 4 whole(s) Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 4 tablespoon(s) Olive Oil
- 3 teaspoon(s) Cumin
- 2 teaspoon(s) Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 2 cup(s) Onion Diced
- 1/2 cup(s) Green Bell Pepper Diced
- 1/2 cup(s) Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 3 clove(s) Garlic Diced
- 2 can(s) Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilies Mild
- 64 ounce(s) Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- 6 tablespoon(s) Tomato Paste
- 8 cup(s) Hot Water
- 4 can(s) Black Beans Drained
- 6 tablespoon(s) cornmeal
- 10 whole(s) corn tortillas
- 1 cup(s) sour cream
- 1 whole(s) avocado Diced
- 1 whole(s) red onions Diced
- 1 cup(s) Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup(s) cilantro Chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix cumin, chili pepper, garlic powder, and salt. Drizzle 2 tbs olive oil on chicken breasts, then sprinkle a small amount of spice mix on both sides. Set aside the rest of the spice mix.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until chicken is done. Use two forks to shred chicken. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a pot over medium high heat. Add onions, red pepper, green pepper, and garlic. Stir and begin cooking, then add the rest of the spice mix. Stir to combine, then add shredded chicken and stir.
- Pour in Rotel, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes, uncovered.
- Mix cornmeal with a small amount of water. Pour into the soup, then simmer for an additional 30 minutes. Check seasonings, adding more if needed - add more chili powder if it needs more spice, and be sure not to undersalt. Turn off heat and allow to sit for 15 - 20 minutes before serving. Five minutes before serving, gently stir in tortilla strips.
- Ladle into bowls, then top with sour cream, diced red onion, diced avocado, pico de gallo, and grated cheese, if you have it! (The garnishes really make the soup delicious!)
This recipe is a personal recipe added by kwagesj and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note