This is an easy recipe and it was delicious! I used part of a rotisserie chicken when I made mine and let it simmer for the better part of an afternoon and it was wonderful! My husband loved it and there were no left overs!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
More From Oxmoor House
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Six 6-inch corn tortillas, cut into strips 1/2 inch wide and 2 to 3 inches long
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves or 3 thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, cut into 6 wedges
- 1. Combine broth and tomatoes in a soup pot, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add tortilla strips in a couple of batches and cook, stirring once or twice, until light brown and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove fried strips to paper towels to drain.
- 3. In same skillet, cook chicken 3 to 5 minutes without stirring, until nicely browned on first side. Add onion, garlic, jalapeños, cumin, and salt; cook 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are softened.
- 4. Add contents of skillet to simmering broth; cook 10 minutes.
- 5. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish each with tortilla strips, cheese, and cilantro; serve each bowl with a wedge of lime.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews